This is one of my favorite chicken recipes. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are stuffed with cheddar and cream cheese, coated in an Italian bread crumb/romano cheese mixture, and then drenched in a garlic lemon butter sauce and then baked. There are so many different variations you can try with this recipe! First of all, if you are trying to watch your calories (unlike me), this tastes great without the cheese filling. If you don’t like cream cheese, leave it out and just use cheddar cheese. You can also add bacon pieces to the cheese stuffing (yum!) or stuff the chicken with pepper jack cheese or use onion and chives cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese…whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!
Recipe: Garlic Lemon Butter Stuffed Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup milk
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese.
3. Butterfly each chicken breasts by cutting horizontally through the center, but not completely through. Stuff each chicken breast with cheese mixture.
4. Place milk in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and romano cheese. Dip each breast in milk, then in bread crumb mixture, patting firmly to coat. Place on baking dish.
5. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in garlic and lemon juice and then drizzle evenly over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with desired amount of garlic salt and paprika.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.