Feelin’ on top of the world this morning. I mean, it must be illegal to feel this happy? And when I’m happy, I think of breakfast. I know that’s strange, but it’s true. Yup.
This is one of my favorite breakfast casseroles to make. I have tried many breakfast casserole recipes over the years and a large majority call for cubed bread. For some reason, the bread always seems soggy to me…it’s a texture thing I guess…don’t like it. So, instead of bread or a crescent roll crust, I decided to use shredded potatoes as the base.
This recipe is very versatile because you can replace the sausage with bacon or diced ham if you prefer. You can add chopped vegetables. You can replace the cheddar cheese with another cheese….like pepper jack cheese if you want to spice it up a bit. There are just so many different ways you can go with this.
RECIPE: Weekend Breakfast Casserole
20 ounces, Bob Evan’s Shredded Seasoned Hash Brown Potatoes (refrigerated)
2 tablespoons, butter
1 lb. bulk sausage (I prefer Bob Evan’s Original)
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread shredded potatoes in a 9×13 pan to form a “crust”. Top with pats of butter. Bake for 10 minutes or until the potatoes start to brown a bit. I sometimes even broil them for a minute. Remove from oven and reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees. Note: you can technically skip this step but I think a little pre-browning of the potatoes improves this recipe tremendously.
2. While the potatoes are baking, cook the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until browned. Sprinkle sausage on top of potatoes.
3. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the sausage.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl until well-blended. Pour over the sausage/cheese/potatoes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes until the middle is set and the top is slightly browned. Note: If the top starts to get too brown, cover with foil and continue cooking.