Ooo-la-la. This recipe is sooo good and sooo easy. Your house will smell absolutely AMAZING as this roast simmers in the crockpot all day in a beefy onion broth. Then…. just slice, serve on crusty rolls with provolone cheese and dip….dip away in the extra au jus sauce. I love to serve this with homemade french fries. Can you say Holy Moly?!
RECIPE: French Dip Sandwiches
2 lbs. rump roast
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
21 ounces low sodium beef broth (note: you can also replace half of the beef broth with a dark beer for more depth – come on, just do it!)
10-1/2 ounces french onion soup, condensed
1 tablespoon worcestershire
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (1 oz) package Au Jus dry mix
6-8 crusty french rolls
6-8 slices provolone cheese
2 tablespoon butter, softened
1. Season rump roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brown roast on all sides in a large skillet with olive oil (medium-high heat). Place in crockpot.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the beef broth/beer, french onion soup, worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic, thyme, pepper, and Au Jus mix. Pour over roast in crockpot.
3. Cook on low 9-10 hours until tender. Remove roast from crockpot and cut meat into thin slices and place back in crockpot for 5-10 minutes to soak up the juice.
4. Cut the crusty rolls in half and butter both sides. Place rolls butter side down on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 5 minutes or until rolls are slightly browned on bottom.
5. Top rolls with roast beef slices and provolone cheese. Use extra au jus in crockpot for dipping.
My fascination with all things French continues. Au jus, wine, cheese, castles, baguettes, the Eiffel Tower, fashion, excellent films, french kissing….Oiu oiu.
Yes, I must continue with my french language lessons. I leave you with this……