I think my pork and sauerkraut recipe is the bombdiggity!! While most of the ingredients are fairly typical in a lot of recipes you will find, I take a few extra steps that I think add some additional depth, color (I don’t think the paleness of pork and sauerkraut is very appealing), flavor, and well, just takes it up a freaking notch!
RECIPE: PORK, SAUERKRAUT, & KIELBASA
3 lbs. Boneless Pork Loin
Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Dried Thyme for seasoning
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 lb. Kielbasa, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 lbs. Sauerkraut with juices
1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
1 Bottle Regular or Light beer (I used Miller Light)
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1.Sprinkle pork loin with garlic powder, pepper, and thyme.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Place 4-5 pieces of the kielbasa in skillet until browned (3-4 minutes). Remove and set aside with remaining kielbasa.
4. Place pork loin in the same skillet and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
5. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to pan to deglaze and scrape up all the brown bits. Turn off heat and reserve deglazed liquid.
6. Place half of sauerkraut and onions in bottom of crockpot. Stir in the bottle of beer, 2 T of brown sugar, and 1 T Worcestershire.
7. Arrange kielbasa pieces around edges of crockpot and place pork loin in the center. Top with remaining sauerkraut and onions. Pour deglazed juices over the top. Cook approximately 6 hours on high or 8-9 hours on low or until pork is fall apart tender. Salt to taste.
Best if served over a heaping mound of mashed potatoes. Oh yeah.