I just succumbed and finally turned the air condition on for the first time this year. Don’t ask me why, but every year I TRY to make it until June 1 with no air condition. Insane, complete torture for someone (aka me) who absolutely despises heat and humidity. I just couldn’t take it any longer. I was sitting here feeling as if I could pinch someone’s head off…and decided enough is enough. It’s only been a few minutes but I already feel better, happier, a smile has returned to my face. Life is good.
I’m not much of a summer person (more of a Fall/Spring type of gal). I mean I don’t mind heat if I’m floating on a raft in a pool, or laying on a beach, or sailing on Lake Michigan with Captain Kelley (aka my brother-in-law)….but other than that, I just feel very uncomfortable when it gets above 80 degrees. So, yes, one can safely assume that this chickadee will not be retiring to Florida. Never in a million years!
Speaking of feeling HOT, this brings me to my Honey Jalapeno Wings recipe. I won the Cook On, Columbus contest with this baby…..the one and only contest I have ever entered! My good friend Paula sent me the information about the contest and told me “I must” enter a recipe. This was mere weeks before the grand opening of my business and I was in crazy, chaotic, super busy mode and this contest was not at the top of my list of things to do….needless to say, there I was, about a half hour before the contest deadline…perched in front of my laptop, thinking hmmmm? What recipe should I enter? The clock kept ticking and with only minutes to spare, I said the heck with it, and entered my honey jalapeno wings recipe. I NEVER thought I had a chance of winning with chicken wings! I received a phone call a few weeks later. …Surprise! You won the Cook On, Columbus contest! I was speechless.
A little history on the recipe…I created this a few years ago while visiting my sister…we were planning our game day feast ….our beloved Ohio State Buckeyes were playing in the national championship with LSU. Unfortunately, the game didn’t turn out so well….but my wings, they rocked and are in demand at many a football parties!
STEPH’S HONEY JALAPENO WINGS
24 chicken wings, separated at joints, tips discarded
1 (18 ounce) honey barbecue sauce (preferably Sweet Baby Ray’s or another thick, dark bbq sauce)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 jalapeno peppers, chopped (do not discard seeds-unless you are a spice wuss)
4 dashes liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
3 tablespoons horseradish
1. Place chopped jalapenos and worcestershire sauce in a food processor or blender and puree them together. Note: if you don’t have a food processor or blender, you can finely chop the jalapenos (make sure to use gloves)!
2. In a medium sauce pan, mix together the jalapeno/worcestershire sauce mixture, bbq sauce, honey, liquid smoke, ginger, garlic, pepper, and horseradish. Simmer 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Place chicken wings in a large bowl and coat with 1/2 of the sauce (refrigerate remaining sauce). Cover and refrigerate wings for 4-6 hours.
4. Preheat the grill for low heat.
5. Lightly oil the grate. Discard marinade. Place chicken wings on the grill. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally, until juices run clear. Place cooked wings in a large bowl or pan and coat with remaining sauce. Note: you can also place in a crockpot on low setting if serving at a party.
Note: To fry or bake the wings, just skip step 3. Fry or bake and then coat with sauce.
This recipe is also great on chicken breasts, ribs, pork chops. You can reduce the spice-factor by reducing the number of jalapenos and seeding them. You can also up the spice-factor by adding more jalapenos…if you’re real brave, you can also try to add a habanero or two! Enjoy!