Yes, that’s right. Mac & Beer Cheese soup peoples! I love macaroni and cheese. I love beer. I love soup. Oh hallelujah, this soup was made for me!
So, just a little background on this soup and recipe. I recently volunteered to be a soup maker for a wonderful charity event here in my town called Columbus Soup & Bread. This past month’s event was held at Seventh Son Brewing Co. and our challenge was to make a soup using one of their beers. I initially was thinking of making my good ol’ beef stew or chili but then I stumbled across the The Beeroness’s Mac & Beer Cheese Soup recipe and angels began to sing. *smile* Side note: I want to be a Beeroness! *jealous* But alas, I will settle with Retro Dinner Diva. That’s pretty cool too, right?
Okay, okay, back to the soup making. I ended up choosing Seventh Son’s Golden Ratio brew and tweaked the Beeroness’ recipe a bit. I added bacon, carrots, celery, and worcestershire. The outcome? DELISH! I think this recipe would be great with some finely chopped broccoli or cauliflower too or your veggie of choice.
RECIPE: MAC & BEER CHEESE SOUP
Adapted from The Beeroness – Mac & Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
6 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced very small
2 ribs celery, diced very small
1 fresh jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tbs corn starch
12 ounces pale ale beer
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese (thinly grated, don’t use pre-shredded)
2 teaspoons worcestershire
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
A dash of nutmeg
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup elbow macaroni noodles (or pasta of choice)
- In a large pot, brown the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve bacon grease in pan. Add the onions, carrot, celery, and jalapenos, cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter stir until melted.
- Sprinkle the flour and corn starch on top of the melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Add the beer, broth, Worcestershire, and cream bring to a low simmer.
- 1/4 a cup at at time, add the cheese and stir until completely melted before adding more. Note: you do not want to bring the soup to a boil or the cheese will separate. Repeat until all the cheese is incorporated into the soup.
- Add the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, nutmeg, and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Add the macaroni noodles and cook until noodles are al dente.
- Add additional beer or broth to thin to desired consistency.